Thursday, June 28, 2012

Wedding shower cake

This is the wedding shower cake I made last night. I intentionally chose a simple design because I knew I would not have much time to decorate. I get home from work at 5 and the party was at 8.

But for some reason, everything with this cake went wrong.

Thing 1 - I baked all the cakes Tuesday night so they would be ready to be decorated. I stuck the last one in the oven kind of late, so my hubby (who was staying up anyway) said he would take it out when the timer went off. Well, in my half-asleep state of mind, I read 'baking-soda' as 'baking-powder.' When I got up the next morning The cake was terrible. It had not fluffed up at all. I had to throw it out and make another one before I went to work.

Thing 2 - I also made my icing before I went to work. I use a recipe that calls for cooking and then letting it set in the fridge to firm up and I wanted to give it plenty of time. Again, something went wrong and when I got home it was the consistency of pudding. It tasted great!! But it would not work. Hubby to the rescue!! Or at least, hubby to the store...... to buy frosting. =(

Thing 3 - At this point I am feeling like we can do this! The cake is dirty iced and covered in fondant. All I have to do know is decorate it and frost the cupcakes. So hubby (isn't he great?) said he would do the cupcakes, and I start piping away. He used a pipe bag too to make swirls on the cupcakes. Not three cupcakes in and his bag busts at the seam. (He is a bit of a hulk anyway so I didn't think much about it). Then mine does too. Ugh....

Oh well.... With a little improvising this is what we ended up with.




It definitely is not my best work, but considering the time crunch and all the little snags, I am pretty happy with it.



I love the black and white.... so classy and romantic!!=)

To see how to make a heart shape cake without a heart shaped pan click here.

No comments: