Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Trying my Hardest

I really like working out with other people. I know I push myself harder with others around, especially if they are able to do more than me. The company makes the time go by faster and for me, it helps take my mind off of the fact that my muscles fell like jello and I may in fact drop this dumbbell right on my face (skull crushers kill my arms!!).

But not all workout partners provide this kind of company. I have recently learned that there are certain people I should not work out with.

Not everyone is encouraging. Not everyone is motivating. And some people just don't understand that even if they think they are helping you by telling you everything that you are doing 'wrong' that they are really just giving you one more reason to walk out  the gym doors and not come back in. As if I needed any more reasons......

There are 1000 ways to skin a cat and there are a million different ways to work out. Sure, some are better than others, but they are all better than sitting on the couch eating potato chips.

The bottom line is, I have gone from a size 18 to a size 8. I got my first gym membership at 15 years old (with my mom's signature), and I have gone from 250+lbs to 169lbs. I know how to workout. And I know what works for my body.

I don't want to be able to bench press a truck, I don't care how much I can lift. I just want to get a good sweat, feel my muscles working, and feel sore in the morning. That is what works for me.

I just think everyone who steps into a gym should respect the fact that every body is different and everyone is at different points on their fitness journey. And believe it or not, not everyone has the same goals that you do. I work DIFFERENTLY to achieve DIFFERENT goals. Not better, not worse, just DIFFERENT.

Just because I am not trying YOUR hardest does not mean I am not trying MY hardest.

Please excuse the curse word, but this says it all!!

Please don't tell me I can lift more. Please don't tell me to do my push-ups faster. Please do not call me a wimp. Please don't look disappointed when I finish my reps. Please don't scoff when I ask for a lighter weight. Please don't make me feel like I am not pushing myself.

I understand this kind of 'encouragement' may work for some people (especially guys), but when I tell you repeatedly that it does not help me, respect that.

Be encouraging. Be positive. Be supportive.

So if anyone reading this works out with a partner, take time to ask them what motivates them. Tell them what motivates you. And then, just do that. A great workout partner is like gold!! But what makes a workout partner 'great' will be different for different people. Make sure you know how to be one.


What do you need from a workout partner??

No comments: