Monday, June 4, 2012

Mean Green

You may not think it based on all of the cakes I love to make so much, but I actually try very hard to be live a healthy lifestyle. And let's just be honest, no sugar canNOT be healthy. I just won't believe it.

So I do only enjoy it in small amounts and infrequently.

I recently watched a documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. In it, a man does nothing but drink juiced fruits and vegetables for 60 days. It was his last hope to get rid of his extra weight and a disease that had him on numerous prescriptions.

I was so shocked by his results that I tried my own juice fast.

You see, I was significantly overweight for most of my childhood. I never weighed myself but I know that in the eighth grade I wore a woman's size 18. That's too big for a Jr. High School student. But since high school I have done very well to maintain balance in my diet and engage in an active lifestyle. On my wedding day I wore a size eight dress.

But I do still have a few pounds here and there that have been EXTREMELY stubborn!! At one point in time I did a Daniel Fast for 30 days (fruits, veggies, and nuts ONLY) while running a mile at least three times a week and did not loose a pound. So I knew in order to shed these last few I would have to do something dramatic.

After watching this documentary, I decided to give it a try. I got me a juicer and a cart full of fruits and veggies. I stayed on it for 10 days and lost 10 pounds. (Praise the LORD!!)

Many people told me that this was unhealthy, but I have NEVER felt so good on a diet in my life. I had so much more energy and even saw improvement in many other areas that I didn't even think would be effected. I was never hungry. In fact I had to start making smaller juices because I had trouble finishing them!!

I went off of the fast and jumped back to my old eating habits. Not that I have terrible eating habits, but I do love meat and dairy products. And a weak spot for breads too. But I didn't gain anything back! In fact I have eaten normally for about a month now and no gain!!

I AM SOLD!!

Now I have a wedding to be in at the end of the week, so I thought I would start it up again for the next five days.



Here is my favorite.....



I call it Mean Green Juice.....

It is

2 Stalks of celery
1/2 a cucumber
2 bunches of Kale
1 or 2 apples (depending on size)
And sometimes a few green grapes or half a pear.


It is a lot better than it looks. The flavor of the fruit overpowers the veggies.


And seeing a lower number on the scale EVERY DAY makes it super easy to stick with.

Let me know what you think if you try it!!=)

*UPDATE*


Well I have juiced for the last four days. I have not been very strict about it. There were a couple birthday parties this week and a bridal shower and I live by the 'when in Rome' rule of dieting. When I am at these celebrations, I allow myself to indulge in small quantities of the yummies. So almost every day I had something a little extra: pizza, cake and punch, but in small quantities. I also have not been doing my regular exercises.

I still have lost four pounds. =)

If you are looking for a healthy way to loose weight, there is nothing that I would recommend more strongly. I have tried every weight lose scam under the sun. Nothing beats adding fruits and veggies (in large quantities) and cutting back on everything else. And since it is not realistic to think that I would gnaw on celery all day (love celery juice, hate celery), what better way to eat them than to drown out their flavor with some apples and grapes!!=)

I hope you give it a try and let me know how it works for you!!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to try this. Do you have any other recipes or did you do the same one every day? I'm afraid I won't stick with it unless I have a variety of juices. I don't have any idea what I'm doing so if you could provide additional recipes that would be wonderful. I did buy some protein powder, hemp seeds, chia seeds and cocao. Don't know correct amt of these add ins to use.

Thanks