Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Hannah's Bridal Shower Cake!

I was asked to throw a Bridal shower for one of my best pals!! Which I of course said yes to! How could I pass up the chance to make her blush repeatedly and throw a party? Plus I have been wanting to try a recipe for Marshmallow Fondant. Here is a 'how-to' for this cake.








I quickly fell in love with this theme. But could not find it anywhere in town, only online. I hate paying shipping if I can at all avoid it but decided it would be the unofficial theme any way!




So my plan was to make the cake similar to this and decorate in blue, white and black. It turned out gorgeous!! (more pics will come later)


So after a few rough sketches, this is the design I settled on...


I made the Fondant the night before I made the cake. It was a lot of trial and error, but it turned out alright in the end.



First to make the heart shape (because I don't have a heart shaped pan and I hate spending money), I used a nine inch square pan and a nine inch circle pan. I turned the square diagonal to make the diamond shape and then cut the circle in half, putting a half on each side to make a heart. Like so....






I knew I wanted a layer of pineapple filling in between two layers of cake but I hate having to torte a cake. So I put half of a box of cake mix in each pan to make a very shallow cake. Then I piped icing around the edges and where the two cakes meet, and filled it in with the pineapple. Then made another box of mix and another layer!!




After adding the second layer of cake, I dirty iced the whole cake. It doesn't have to look good because it's going to get covered up anyway! It is amazing how much faster you can go when you don't have to worry about appearance.

Then I rolled out my fondant and decorated my cake!!














It was a hit!!

Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think!!



No comments: