Friday, May 11, 2012

Taking Time

I would just like to start out by saying that I love the convenience of our technology. I have a smart phone and a laptop, my husband has both and a kindle. We can tell our TV what show we want to watch without using the remote, and we can sit down while we mow our grass (okay that's not so tech-y but it is very convenient!).
But sometimes, like many, I worry about what we may have given up in order to have these conveniences.

My cousin is throwing a birthday party for her little girl. She is one year old. I think the first birthday is a big deal to a mamma. So I asked her if there was anything I could do to help. She asked me to come over and help her plan things out.

So I am thinking we are going to plan out some games or talk about what is going in the goodie bags. I get there and she is making invitations. Hand making invitations. Whoa.

Not designing them and printing them. Not making a face book event. Hand making invitations. I was impressed.

So I thought, "How hard can this be?"

After spending 15 minutes on one invitation I began to realize my fine motor skills aren't what they were in middle school.

But they turned out great! Each one was different and they all looked fantastic! I know everyone who gets one will know the time and care put into it. I'm sure they will feel like their presence is truly valued at this gathering. And that is something you can't get from an email or face book notification. So did we spend hours of our lives making these invitations when we could have spent five minutes writing an email? Yes. Was it worth it? Absolutely.



More pictures to come, this was a few of them after step one......

No comments: